Locksmiths required to cover:
What is the work like?
As a Locksmith you will be expected to sell, install, repair and maintain locks for homes and businesses.
Your work as a locksmith would typically include:
- Fitting locks to doors and windows
- Servicing and repairing locks and other safety devices
- Cutting copies of keys and making new keys
- Fitting combination locks and timing devices to safes
- Providing a 24-hour call-out service to people locked out of their home or business
- Providing an emergency service after break-ins, securing doors, changing locks and resetting security systems
- Advising customers on the most suitable locks or safety devices for their needs
You may also sell, install and maintain other security mechanisms and systems, and fit safes and security devices, such as closed circuit television (CCTV).
You could specialise in a particular area like repairing and key cutting for antique locks.
What qualifications and experience are we looking for?
You can train as a locksmith on courses run by the British Locksmiths Institute (BLI), which is part of the Master Locksmiths Association (MLA). The MLA is recognised as the authoritative body for locksmithing by the police, the Home Office, The British Standards Institute and The Association of British Insurers. The MLA qualifications are recognised throughout the industry. Before you start employment you will be asked to apply for student membership of the BLI/MLA. You will also need to supply two references and have CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) clearance and BS7858 screening prior to carrying out any on site works.
It could be useful if you have experience in carpentry or engineering.
Courses are run at the Master Locksmiths Association’s (MLA) headquarters in Daventry, Northamptonshire. (See the MLA website for details).
You might be able to start as a trainee within any of our company’s branches. There are no formal apprenticeships in locksmithing, however full training will be given.
What further training and development can I do?
As a trainee locksmith you would receive on-the-job training. You can develop your skills and knowledge, and keep up to date with new products and developments, by doing Master Locksmiths Association (MLA) short courses.
You may be able to do NVQ levels 2 and 3 in Providing Security, Emergency and Alarm Systems.
- Trainees can start at around £13,000 a year.
- With experience earnings can be between £14,000 and £25,000 or more.
What are the hours and working conditions?
You would usually work around 40 hours a week, which could include evenings and weekends. As a firm that provides a 24-hour service, you may have to work some nights to respond to emergency call-outs.
You could be based in a shop, cutting keys and selling locks and other security devices, but most locksmiths travel to visit customers on site, therefore you will need a full UK driving licence which will be inspected every six months.
Some of your work will be inside, but you may also have to work outside in all weathers, for example when fitting or repairing window or external door locks.
What skills and knowledge will I need?
- Excellent practical skills
- Good communication and customer care skills
- A patient approach, with the ability to pay attention to detail
- Carpentry and metalwork skills
- Problem-solving skills
- An interest in electronic and mechanical equipment
- Offer of employment will be subject to a CRB check
What opportunities are there?
As the company grows so does our employees and their experience. All our locksmith and safe engineers are promoted from within and trained in the following:
- CITB (Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
- Hydraulic Lorry Loaders
- Slinger Banksman
- Crane Appointed Person
- Forklift Operator
- Fire Safety Training (London Underground Ltd (LUL)
- First Aid
Where can I go for more information?
Stephen Turner | Associated Security Services Group | 25 Addington Street | Manchester M4 5EU
0161 832 2777 / 0800 163 212 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safe Deposit Centres
- Strong Rooms & Vaults
- Safe Deposit Boxes
- Strong Room Doors
- Till Solutions
- Safe Locks
- Reconditioned Safes
- Bespoke Solutions
- Access Control & Door Locks
- Air Tube Systems
- Cash Management Solutions
- ATM Protection
- Key Control